If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you’ll never get it done. – Bruce Lee
Let’s face it, we all want more time in our life to get more done, be more, do more and have more. The thing is, we are all given the same 24 hours in a day as everyone else. How can we get the most of the limited time we got? Here are 8 ways you can be productive and use time more efficiently
- Plan your day the night before. Take 10 to 15 minutes to plan your day the night before. Adopting this habit yields phenomenal benefits. Lack of sleep mostly comes from thinking about all you have to do the next day. This makes the mind restless, and it becomes much more difficult to get a good night’s rest. Planning your day the night before should crush this problem right away. When we plan our day the night before, we wake up ready to hit the ground running knowing exactly what has to get done.
- Do not disturb. How many times throughout your day has someone come into your office and interrupted you just to talk about nonsense? Chances are you are getting interrupted via text, phone or email throughout your day. If you work in an office, set up a “Do Not Disturb” sign when it’s time to get important work done. If you work from home or outside of an office, set a policy so people know not to call or interrupt you during certain time blocks. If you are able, completely silence and stow your phone away so there is no distraction or urge to stray from the task at hand.
- Use blocking softwares. If you are writing something, or doing some work which involves a little more focus, then use some extensions like Leechblock (Firefox Extension) or Nanny (Google Chrome) available on most browsers that block websites or notifications. Usually, these things take most of time without us knowing it. Constantly checking on your Twitter feed or emails, make you more prone to distractions and make you shift your focus on other things.
- Set a Timer. Many people make use of the Pomodoro technique which is proved to be very efficient. Set a timer to go off at 30 minute intervals to focus on one activity and take a short 1 minute break to refocus. Take a proper break after 2 hours for 10-20 minutes and dance to your fave song, do some pushups, get out in the fresh air.
- Outsource. Outsource when you are just doing repetitive work and you have some more important work at hand. There are many websites(like freelancer, upwork, payoneer) that help you find a freelancer who would do your work for some charge but will save on your time.
There is no try, there is only do or do not. -Master Yoda
- Don’t Multitask. New research confirms that all the distractions invading our lives are rewiring the way our brains work (and drop our IQ by 5 points!). Be one of the rare-air few who develops the mental and physical discipline to have a mono-maniacal focus on one thing for many hours. (It’s all about practice). As Unix philosophy says “Do one thing and Do it well”
- Decide. To actually become the most productive person around, you must first decide to do so. Don’t beat yourself up over how unproductive you’ve been or relish over how productive someone else is. This will never get you to where you need to go. Making the decision is half the battle. Once you’ve made up your mind, you will begin to challenge yourself to see just how much you can accomplish any given day. Stop procrastinating, just do it!
- Celebrate the small wins. Every time you check off a task from your to-do list, you release a “happy chemical” in your brain called dopamine. This gives you the motivation to move forward and do even more. For example, after I finish writing this article and I’ve crossed it off my list of things to do today, I’ll get a nice burst of “happy chemicals” releasing in my brain. The best part? Zero side effects!
These are some ways in which you can use your time efficiently and be productive. You can make use of technology in many cases mentioned above to make the most of it. We are designing Smart products, that would work in a similar manner to get the most of your time, so you could focus on whats more important.
What do you use to make your day productive or manage your time? Comment below!
Stay tuned to know how we are making your workplace and homes a little better.
Share this post and follow us on :